Fortuna Cabernet Sauvignon
Producer: Turnbull Wine Cellars
The love created on that day has quieted anger, eased pain, encouraged dreams, and inspired joy. It has been a constant – forgiving all, celebrating much, apologizing for little. It has had many homes, sustaining one for decades; it has triumphed over trials of mind and body, of will and wallet.
Forty years later, time treads softly around this love, letting itself in and tiptoeing over to kneel with respect before it. And three people in particular, its greatest recipients, still depend on it, seek to replicate it, and wander the world proclaiming it.
Producer: Cannonball Wine Company
We make this recipe for the same reason we drink this wine –
It reminds us of a less complicated version of life,
A time when we wore heels to play dress up,
We were put to bed before dusk,
And we truly believed our parents – and their parents – were invincible.
A time when we took the greatest pleasure in the smallest things,
Like licking the spoon after we spread the sauce.
Company Beef Casserole
Mom’s Notes in Italics
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (or ground turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion (you can used dried if in a hurry
1 cup sour cream (you can use lite, but not fat-free
1 8 oz. pkg. Philadelphia cream cheese – Remove from package and soften in microwave
1 cup cottage cheese (lite if you want, but no fat-free
8 oz. to12 oz. wide noodles
16 oz. tomato sauce
Freshly shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Grease 3 qt. or 13×9 casserole dish.
2. Cook noodles according to directions. (It’s usually a shorter time if using in a casserole – I think it’s 5 minutes for the noodles I use).
3. Mix together softened cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese, stirring well.
4. Brown beef (and onions if fresh) in oil till fully cooked – then drain.
5. Add tomato sauce to beef.
6. To assemble casserole….
· Layer 1/2 cooked noodles on bottom of casserole
· Spread cheese mixture on top of noodles
· Add rest of noodles on top of cheese mixture
· Spread meat and tomato sauce mixture evenly on top
7. Bake uncovered at 375 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan last 10 minutes if desired.
Producer: Chateau Felice
We’ve all been there.
It’s decision time and nothing seems quite worth the next two hours of your life. You consider several options, browsing through the menu, but none of them are “right.” You’re sick of Helen Mirren. Owen Wilson annoys you. And don’t EVEN get yourself started on flimsy adaptations of mediocre novels, such as the one starring an actress who peaked playing a call girl. So you go with the safe option – the one with Matt Damon – or you choose the book by the cover – which may also be the one with Matt Damon – and all the while, you know full well that your heart isn’t in it.
What’s worse – you did it with this wine, too, choosing it for the clever title and the pretty label, with a lurking suspicion that there was nothing more to it.